Diving In

Thoughts about Life and God... and everything in between

Name:
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska, United States

Love to write, love music, love peole... just trying to figure out what direction God wants me to go one day at a time.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Amazed by Grace

Before the sound of my alarm clock reached me, something else was dancing through my mind that morning. Even before I was fully awake I was aware of it. It was a few simple lines from a song I haven't heard in months:

Your grace still amazes me
Your love is still a mystery
Each day I fall on my knees
Because your grace still amazes me

I couldn't get it out of my head. Over and over it played. The day went on as usual, but those words stayed with me. I wondered why God had chosen to implant those words in my mind that morning.

The dictionary defines grace as "the love and favor of God toward man."

But I think it's a whole lot more than that:

God's grace enables us to receive blessings from His hand.

"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another." John 1:17

God's grace gives us new life... eternal life.

"For if, by the trespasses of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ." Romans 5:17

God's grace cost us nothing, and Jesus everything.

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich." 2 Corinthians 8:9

Because of God's grace, when our strength fails, His begins.
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Through God's grace, we can be redeemed, set free, and washed clean once and for all.

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

God's grace is the only hope we have for salvation.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God..." Ephesians 2:9

And finally, God's grace is what enables us to keep going, no matter how badly or how often we fail.

"But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to humble.'" James 3:6

As I look at that list, I think there is probably a lot more to grace than I can fully comprehend. I wonder how often I forget to be amazed by grace. How often do I take the time to say, "Thank you God, for you amazing, undeserved favor. I don't understand it, but I know if I didn't have it, I would be in a serious mess."

I wonder how my life would be different if I sang that song more often, if I took the time to be amazed by grace. Would it affect my relationships with other people? Would my mind be so overwhelmed by the grace I receive every single day that I wouldn't have time to stop and criticize someone else? Would my heart be so full of gratitude that it wouldn't have room for my complaints about the weather, traffic, or school? I wonder, would I look at my circumstances, struggles, and tribulations differently?

Hey, I've got an idea. Let's find out!

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen." 2 Peter 3:18




1 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I do believe this is your best post ever. I like the succinct ways you define grace. It is easy to comprehend and completely in line with Truth. I'm hanging on to this one and passing it on to someone I know struggling with this issue. GREAT JOB, Kara!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home