Diving In

Thoughts about Life and God... and everything in between

Name:
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska, United States

Love to write, love music, love peole... just trying to figure out what direction God wants me to go one day at a time.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Questions... Aches... and Bomb Pops

I love a good love story. I saw one last night and I've been thinking about it every since. Thinking... is it too good to be true? Will anyone ever love me like that? Why does it stir my heart so deeply that I long for it never to end? I think of stories like this and I sigh and smile, and at the same time I ache. What girl doesn't? (I can't speak for guys of course... I've heard they don't much care for 'chick flicks', but am I correct to suspect that they still have an ache of some sort inside them? For significance perhaps?) In any case... I've been thinking about my questions, and about my ache. Part of me wonders... what if the answer to my frist two questions is no? That makes me sad... makes me want to cry sometimes, because of my ache. But when I stop and look at those questions again, straining to hear a whisper from the voice of truth... I discover something. The answer not no...


"By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me--a
prayer to the God of my life." Psalm 42:8



"All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you."
Psalm 38:9

"But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love," Psalm 33:18

Someone knows me, sees me, understands me, loves me with unfailing love and sends me evidence of that love every day. But not just someone. The One who made the stars, who thought of love, who created beauty, who is King of Kings and Lord of Lords... He loves me? He cares enough to send me a beautiful song, a shooting star, a word, a smile, a friend... a cookie even at just the right time. He loves me enough to die for me... and He did. He did so it would be possible for me to be with Him... every day, and for eternity. And could it be? Perhaps... He loves me enough to make everything and everyone in my life come up just short of filling my ache... because He wants to be the one to do it? "You are Mine," He says, "Stop looking to other things. I long to be the One." If a man said that to me, I think I just might melt like a bomb pop on a hot day... so why don't I when God says it? Maybe He's pulling me out of the refrigator one day at a time.

One of my favorite prayers on this subject is one that Paul prays. It makes me really excited because I think, "Hey... the mighty Paul prayed it, it must be important right? There's something to this? It's not just us silly females."

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

When I read that, I feel myself starting to melt. It's not too good to be true! Do you hear those words? Read them again... go ahead do it! I am. (Checking for typos while I do.) What do you think? Do I exagerate? I don't think so. His love surpasses knowledge... and apparently it's important that we know the extent of it if it's something God prompted Paul to pray for. Wow...

God... my God, I want to know more of You, more of Your love. I want to fall in love with you... every day. And I want to BE in love with you every day, doing what is hard, and doing it for you. Thank you for this love, which I am keenly aware I do not deserve... which I can never deserve. Thank you for not allowing my ache to be filled with the things I try to fill it with. I want to melt when I hear your voice... to always be ready and eager to hear it. I need You God... I need You. I still have questions, I still have aches... but I know why now. I come to you to give answers when the time is right, and to fill me as only You can.

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:1,3,8

There are a lot of random thoughts on this issue in this blog, and hopefully some truth. However, I really think Tami hits the nail on the head when she explains it... so you should check out her blog. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

I think you hit the nail pretty well yourself with your description of the longing and ache we all experience. It seems like hard work to let God fill that need in me now. It involves a lot of being still and scouring His Word and even then I don't always FEEL it. I'm not sure I can here on earth. But I agree our ultimate love affair is not an earthly one.

Great prayer, Kara! Amen and amen!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand. Every time I leave a chick flick I think, can that really happen to me? And then that little ache comes along. A pastor I once heard said that each person has a God spaced hole in their life. Only God fits there, so we should stop trying to fill it with other things! Great insight, loved the prayer!

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home