Diving In

Thoughts about Life and God... and everything in between

Name:
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska, United States

Love to write, love music, love peole... just trying to figure out what direction God wants me to go one day at a time.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Got Courage?


I'm a little slow on the uptake some days... this is one of those days. I read this verse in Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

In this particular chapter... withtin the space of a few verses actually, God repeats the words, "Be strong and courageous," 3 times, even adding "be very courageous" one of those times. The very last words of the chapter, in fact, are, "Only be strong and courageous!"

He must repeat things for people like me... who miss it the first, or second... or third time. When I sat down to read this morning I asked God to show me what I needed to see for today. So after reading four times, "Be strong and courageous..." I still didn't get it. I thought, "That's a nice verse... it's good for me to remember in this decision or that decision." and then I moved on with my day. I didn't get very far however. As many of you know, I'm a people pleaser. When I think someone else is or may be unhappy with me, or when there's conflict... I feel it physically. Yesterday at work someone was upset with me over the phone, and when I hung up I was shaking. (I'm not proud of this... it's something I struggle to give to God everyday, as you know from earlier blogs.) Anyway... I was going about my day, and I started thinking. (Which can be a dangerous thing some days.) I started thinking... then fearing something I needed to talk to my boss about, then another something came up that needed to be taken care of, then another, then another. Pretty soon my stomach was in a knot... stil is a little bit actually. I felt drained and wanted to crawl in a hole instead of doing the things I needed to do. Wait... what was that thing I read this morning?

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Ohhhh... so this is what He was talking about. This thing (or things) that is upsetting me, unsettling my equilibrium is the thing He wants me to bring to Him. This is my opportunity to trust Him, my chance to remember that the LORD my God is with me wherever I go. (Like I say... I'm a little slow to figure these things out sometimes.) But thankfully God protects the simplehearted... "When I was in great need, he saved me. Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you." Psalm 116:6-7

Lord, I confess this is one of the hardest things for me to do... to be strong and courageous. I don't feel strong and courageous Lord, I feel weak and fearful. However, you don't tell me to be strong and courageous because "I can do it" but because You are with me wherever I go. If you are for me, who can be against me? You are my strength and my song, (Ps. 118:14) and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil.4:13). Also, I know that you have not given me a spirit of fear (or timidity) but of power, of love, and of self-discipline. Calm my trembling heart Lord, and let me rest in the fact that I belong to You.

What unsettles your equillibrium? How do you get it settled again?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel this way all the time, i'm not a courageous or brave person. it feels tons safer to just melt into the wall and not make any waves. so this blog really makes me think about what God wants for me. thanks!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Kara, you have the best, most honest prayers.

One of the things I worry about and have to give to God continually is worry about the future and providing for my kids. I have to trust that He will provide what is needed and knows what is best for them. When the worry gets to me I turn to Truth, but also remember all the unusual ways He has provided in the past. He has an amazing track record.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home