Diving In

Thoughts about Life and God... and everything in between

Name:
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska, United States

Love to write, love music, love peole... just trying to figure out what direction God wants me to go one day at a time.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Can you Hear Me Now?

"God help me through this day... I need your strength." That's what I prayed yesterday, feeling unprepared, unworthy, and unsure that God should even answer me. Well... I did survive the day. But when I got to the end of it, the thought briefly occurred to me, "God... where were you?" Today as I look back I wonder, "Hmm... how was my reception?" Because God didn't answer in the way I thought He should, does that mean He's not speaking to me? I wonder how many messages get lost in the static. Do you think maybe some of these things could have been a ring from God?

1. On my way into school, I found a penny on the ground. I started to walk over it, but turned around and picked it up instead. I turned it over in my hand and read the words, "In God We Trust." Can you hear me now?

2. I turned on the radio in the morning at two separate times, and both times I heard these words by Casting Crowns, "Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth, would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt? ... "Not because of who I am, but because of what you've done, not because of what I've done, but because of who you are. I am a flower quickly fading, here today and gone tomorrow... still you hear me when I'm calling, you catch me when I'm falling, and You've told me who I am. I am Yours." Can you hear me now?

3. While I was getting ready to head to school and give my speech, I was listening to a different CD. It was storming outside, and I was worrying about my speech, wondering whether our presentation would work on the computer if it was storming. Almost exactly at the moment there was a loud rumble of thunder, I heard these words on the song that just happened :) to be playing,"When the storm of life is raging, and the thunder's all I hear, you speak softly to my soul..." Can you hear me now?

4. I hear another favorite on my way to school, one I almost never hear, and it makes me smile and sing along. Can you hear me now?

5. Someone stops to smile at me and ask me how I am. Can you hear me now?

6. A friend in class tells me it's going to be okay when I feel like a complete failure. Can you hear me now?

7. My mom takes time to stop and bring me hot-chocolate and a warm sweater while I'm helping work a late game at work. Can you hear me now?

8. I wake up this morning watching the gorgeous light dance through the leaves and make designs on my curtains, while worship song plays on my radio, "Early in the morning, I will celebrate the light... and when I stumble in the darkness, I will call your name by night." Can you hear me now?

9. I read a verse and words in a friend's blog that pierce my heart and bring tears to my eyes. Can you hear me now?

But wait, what about those times when there's not a pretty song to go along with things? What about those times when it seems He's not listening? When everything seems to be falling apart and going wrong? I wonder... do you think? Maybe? Could God be trying to speak to us then too? Can you hear me now? I'd like to talk with you.

How's your reception today?

Thank you God for meeting us where we are. Open our ears, and tune out the static so we can hear when You're trying to get our attention. One thing I do know... my reception seems to be the clearest when I'm in Your Word. Help me remember that when I think I don't have time. I need You Lord. Every moment, every day. Thank you for being there. Thanks for the messages You send us every day. Help us not to miss them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

This is powerful stuff, Kara. I especially like your realization that God is speaking in the quiet as well. Very good post, my friend.

11:53 PM  
Blogger erica lynn said...

yea i have had these kind of moments too. its like he is saying i have been here the whole time and i have been trying to help but you just keep getting in your own way. well God has great communication skills, i bet he aced speech class!!!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder how many great things like this we miss everyday? your blogs always make me look harder! thanks kara!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home