Diving In

Thoughts about Life and God... and everything in between

Name:
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska, United States

Love to write, love music, love peole... just trying to figure out what direction God wants me to go one day at a time.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

“So how about it God?” I thought. The words didn’t make it into the crisp night air. My feet carried me one step, then another towards the house, while my eyes lingered on those thousands of pinholes in the sky where the light poured through. I didn’t say it because I thought it was probably silly… asking God for a shooting star. I decided to enjoy them anyway. It wasn’t very often I took time to stop and admire. I turned my head from one corner of the sky to the other… just in time to see a single star skid across the sky for a brief second… then it was gone. I bit my lower lip and smiled like it was my first one. Silly? Maybe not.
I wonder how many shooting stars I miss… not just at night, but throughout my day. How often do I miss a chance to see God work, because I assume he doesn’t care, or that’s too small to bother Him with… or too big for Him to handle. Ouch. It occurred to me today that when I see those shooting stars, why don’t I stop and take time to tell people about it? It seems I’ve talked a lot lately about how much there is to do, how stressed I am, how crazy things are. Why do I leave out, “Hey, this was a neat gift from God,”?
This week he opened my eyes to a few shooting stars. It’s interesting; they don’t always look like what I think they should. For instance, one that keeps coming back to my mind this week started out as an unpleasant experience. As I was emptying the trash in the kitchen at work after a long day, I noticed someone had spilled some coffee grinds on the floor. Honest mistake… no big deal. I told myself it wasn’t my deal either, “Not part of your job description Kara.” But then I got the little poking and prodding and I thought, “Okay God… I’ll clean up the coffee spill.” Instead of being clever and grabbing the broom, I cleaned it up with paper towels, which meant I had to get them a little wet to get them all picked up. Well of course, once they got wet, they started to smell like freshly brewed coffee. We don’t really drink coffee, but I absolutely love that smell! By the time I was finished, a wonderful aroma filled the kitchen, and I got to smell the coffee!
I hope that story didn’t creep you out too bad. But seriously… after I was done I thought, “I almost missed that. I really think that was a boost from God, and I almost missed it.” Or how about songs on the radio? Two nights last week I went to bed literally feeling scared for the morning because of what was coming that day, and both of those mornings I woke up to these words from Casting Crowns singing on my radio:

Who Am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurts?
Who am I, that the bright and morning star,
Would choose to light the way, for my ever wandering heart?Not because of who I am, but because of what You’ve done.
Not because of what I’ve done, but because of who You are.
… and you’ve told me who I am, I am YOURS.

That’s not a shooting star, that’s the moon! J So what’s your shooting star? This week, I want to keep my eyes open for them. I know they may not be as noticeable or as huge every day… but when I see them, I need to remember to give Him thanks.

Lord thank you that I am Yours. If you gave me nothing else, no other signs of Your goodness, that should be enough. To be able to have peace with You through Your son is an honor I don’t deserve… but I thank You for it. Forgive my wandering heart Lord. Forgive my short-sightedness. Help me turn my eyes back to You. You are my light and my salvation. You are water, the air, the sun to me. I can’t live without You. I love You Lord… because You first loved me. Keep opening my eyes and my heart in Your time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tami said...

You're on a roll now, Kara! Two posts in one week!

I would have never thought of dirty old coffee grinds as a shooting star--more power to ya--but your point is well taken. What works of God are we missing out on every day?

1:35 PM  
Blogger FEAR OF SPIDERS said...

kara i like the way u whrite it is so cool it is eaze to read its not boring it reay entrestring





phil

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara,

You are so right. We miss so many shooting stars and don't take the time to SEE what God is doing. It is so easy to ge wrapped up in everyday life and forget sometimes that God is there. In fact, isn't great that He will use something like coffee grounds to give you a gift for the day.

Thanks for your words. Keep up the good work.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home